If your child has been allocated a place in our school by the local authority and they have a SEND, please contact us as soon as you receive the offer as we may not have details of their needs at this stage. If other professionals are involved, a meeting may be held to discuss your child’s needs, share strategies used, and ensure provision is put in place before your child starts. The Inclusion manager and/or Early Years Foundation Stage leader will make visits to pre-schools and nurseries. Our Early Years staff make home visits for all children at the start of the autumn term.
We recognise that ‘moving on’ can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible. If your child is moving to another school
- We will talk with your child to identify how they are feeling about the move and discuss with them how to make it as positive an experience as possible.
- We will contact the new school’s Inclusion manager and ensure s/he knows about any special arrangements or support that needs to be made for your child.
- The Inclusion manager can provide a social story with pictures of key features, key adults from their new school to help talk about the transition at home.
- Where possible we will support a visit to the new school in advance of the move.
- We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.